2012 Oral History Project
In 2012, interviews were conducted with Life Members of the Albert Park Rowing Club to record their memories of rowing in the post-war era.
The 1950s were an exciting era for Albert Park, with the Club winning the senior premiership twice, numerous inclusions in the Interstate Regatta, and six members selected for the Australian Rowing Team at the 1956 Olympics. Meanwhile, the Club was without a permanent home, as the clubhouse on Aquatic Drive had been destroyed by fire in 1946, and the new clubhouse on Aughtie Drive was not opened until 1957.
Interviewees from the 2012 Project include:
The project was held in conjunction with a celebration to welcome back the 1956 Olympians who had traveled to the UK for the 2012 London Olympics. These stories have been used to provide detailed information about the Club's history, as well as for genealogical research.
Back to History and Heritage