The history of the Albert Park – South Melbourne Rowing Club begins as the history of two separate clubs, both based on Melbourne’s Albert Park Lake.
The Lake itself was created in 1873 out of a natural swamp, as it had been identified as a place for recreation and sporting pursuits by the local community.
In 1871 Yarra River boat builders WT Greenland and James Edwards had already set up boatsheds on the lake, the Albert Park Yacht Club was established, and the South Melbourne Cricket Club’s new pavilion was opened. Sharing this oval was the South Melbourne Football Club, which was established in 1874.
Back to History and Heritage